I feel like I’ve spent a lot of energy lately fighting my soccer mom status. I even got rid of my mini-van in a mini-revolt. I had always promised myself that I wouldn’t over-schedule our family but I have. The girls both want to do so many things. Dance and act and play soccer. And in today’s day and age, there really is no half hearted way to do any of these things. Seasons are long (and multi-seasonal), practices are often and rehearsals are frequent. Sometimes I want to organize and overthrow the culture of youth activities in America so that my girls can be bored and just be children. Sometimes though, it seems like it might be time to stop fighting it and start just living it.
In an attempt to do that, I have compiled a list things I like about our activity filled lives.
- The girls truly love all the things they are doing. They really don’t complain as we shuttle from one activity to another
- We are all spending lots of time outside in this beautiful fall weather.
- The girls are meeting kids from all the schools in our district and they are each making new friends. When our six elementary schools combine into only two middle schools, the girls will see so many more familiar faces than they would have without their activities.
- I am also getting to make new friends as we share stories of our overwhelm, funny stories and recipes while standing on the sidelines.
- The girls have an opportunity to support each other at their games. Caroline was awfully confused when she realized that after years of Katherine cheering for her, she would have to cheer this year too.
- Because we have less time to spend together as a family in the evenings, I am more cognizant of really paying attention when we are all here. Less e-mail, Facebook and Instagram really can be a good thing (I think!).
I’m looking to grow this list… Feel free to share anything else you think I can add…